"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Monday, February 02, 2009

 

The Mirror: The best words cannot be counted

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: Try putting a stop to it.
W: What injustice are you foaming about now?
M: What was still visible was a brocade cloth.
W: The beauty of processional ages past, the sad injustice being that we no longer wear brocade on a regular basis.
M: I'll read to you.
W: Please do.
M: That must be St. Thomas.
W: Is a saint going to read aloud to me?
M: See?
W: I do not see Saint Thomas.
M: Lodge has a small-c catholic approach to fiction.
W: David Lodge may or may not have met Saint Thomas, he may not even believe in him.
M: Which begs the question, "What does solve the world's ills?"
W: Saint Thomas might recommend that we renounce the world.
M: Not that I think of it that way while living it.
W: In the confessional box, though, you may be willing to renounce a thousand things.
M: (Goes to shallow end)
W: Do confessionals have shallow ends for venial sins, and deep ends for mortal sins?
M: I was implying you shouldn't jump to conclusions.
W: Are you talking to the priest now, so that he won't give you too many penances?
M: I have never made bread on my own from scratch.
W: I wonder who makes communion wafers, and in what frame of mind?
M: Then it wouldn't be private.
W: Making communion wafers might be a group activity, by cloistered nuns.
M: I register them in a computer register, or heat register.
W: It does take heat to bake ordinary bread, I don't know about the holy stuff.
M: What is your line of work?
W: I recently referred to myself as a "penny-ante Web designer."
M: Which one?
W: Are you suggesting that I have more than one self, as with Fernando Pessoa and his "heteronyms"?
M: They ride the mental elevators of the Idiot Savant, and discover themselves moving sideways only.
W: John Gardner would probably agree with that assessment, since he was fed up in 1978 with the advance guard.
M: I recently referred to myself as a "penny-ante Web designer."
W: How many pennies do you make per hour?
M: Sure, post your pictures of handmade lace on the Web.
W: I have already done that, except it was digital "lace."
M: I didn't know we were playing a game!
W: The game of comparing analog to digital reality?
M: Do you know any magicians who whistle in code?
W: I'd like to meet a Perl monk who chants a litany that opens my Web-host account.
M: Why would such a thing happen?
W: Because artists and scientists are, essentially, mystics.
M: St. Thomas is very shy.
W: Well, we won't force him into the spotlight.
M: Who?
W: Saint Thomas, I wish you'd tell me about him.
M: I'm more of an e-mailer, these days.
W: You may certainly e-mail me with a short (500-word) biography of Saint Thomas.
M: Only you know about "interpersonal ego boundaries."
W: It will not offend my ego boundaries to receive an e-mail from you, especially if it is short.
M: How can I avoid that?
W: Just keep it under 500 words.
M: Why are you thinking about that?
W: Oh, I've been obsessing about word count for some time now.
M: Probably the best.
W: The best words cannot be counted.
M: The second from the end.
W: That would be the penultimate word.
M: Hungry.
W: It must be time for your tea.
M: Don't despair, all artists feel that way about their work from time to time.
W: Bye!
M: Closing in 1 second ... Goodbye!

Labels: