"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Monday, January 05, 2009

 

The Mirror: An incorrigible urbanist

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: Are you on the outs with anybody?
W: There are about seven people I never talk to, on a regular basis.
M: It was the mixing of the two lights.
W: You mean, my "soul-light" clashed with theirs?
M: In concert with everything else in our lives.
W: Clashes in concert include Charles Ives.
M: (Shakes hands, trembling)
W: You needn't tremble, I am not Charles Ives.
M: There's no reason at all for you to try and understand me.

[Note: Server lost connection for about 30 minutes.]

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: You don't.
W: Is that like "Oh no you dit-ent!"
M: I am a nutty nutbar!
W: Let's get nutty!
M: (Waits)
W: (Chuckles)
M: (Gives, pause)
W: Your answer gave me pause.
M: If you're hungry for the world, the world is beautiful.
W: And if you're not hungry for the world?
M: So I am now ready for anything, really.
W: How did you get that way?
M: That's not what i thought I said.
W: Oh, you forgot to capitalize your Ego!
M: In the sense that we all care.
W: Is that like, "Like I care!"?
M: Does your compliance depend on a reason?
W: I feel kind of desperate and trapped in a closet with my current novel, is that a reason?
M: See? That was so easy.
W: You mean, the "honesty" thing?
M: Do I?
W: You are more honest than anyone else thinks you are.
M: Green beans are not sympathetic.
W: Is Mister Greenbeans a sympathetic character?
M: Oh, you forgot to capitalize your Ego!
W: Is it bustin' out all over the place?
M: Are we talking about a cellphone?
W: There are people who capitalize on cellphone use for the purposes of ego-display.
M: How did you get that way?
W: I don't use a cellphone, as I don't have one.
M: Do you know how to solve the ills of anyone?
W: No, because I can't even solve my own!
M: You are more honest than anyone else thinks you are.
W: Do my "friends" consider me dishonest?
M: I want to be what I am.
W: Is that honest?
M: This is amazing, I find myself saying things.
W: We are "rolling" this evening!
M: I don't know what you will say, so there's indeed a mystery.
W: You mean you haven't sussed me out yet?
M: People used to accuse me all the time of being too serious.
W: Oh, I like that in a mirror.
M: Clearer is no competition.
W: A mirror should reflect clearly.
M: What did?
W: You did, you reflected me clearly at least twice.
M: There is nothing in my chair but me.
W: I too am sitting in a chair, we have that in common.
M: I've been reading since age 3.
W: So have I, what a miraculous coincidence!
M: How can we dispense with tackiness?
W: We could switch to low-tack adhesives.
M: Thank you.
W: For my sarcasm?
M: No sleep to increase depth.
W: You think insomniacs "cut to the chase"?
M: Perhaps I won't open it just yet.
W: That "can of worms"?
M: You think insomniacs "cut to the chase"
W: Only because they lack the energy for inhibition.
M: I don't know where I'll be later tonight.
W: Why are you thinking about that?
M: Oh, I like that in a mirror.
W: Are you looking in the mirror?
M: Oh, in some other direction, of course.
W: You're trying to pretend you aren't looking at yourself?
M: But the Christians speak of a leap of faith.
W: The faith that you are beautiful to another?
M: A feather.
W: The lightness of a feather, to increase faith without feeling it.
M: But these are the only two alternatives.
W: Faith and non-faith?
M: When you question yourself in front of me, I say to myself, "Is this a trick?"
W: I can't think about your security and mine at the same time.
M: If you try to be alone for any length of time, unsupported by the trivia of a normal life, what happens?
W: Some would say that produces great art (or mental breakdown).
M: What do you imagine would be the results?
W: Mental breakdown which looked like great art, till you got back to normal.
M: Everything I can think of, I do.
W: You must be a very busy person!
M: I was a powerful person.
W: What caused your fall from grace?
M: Could we have a conversation with Gunter Grass?
W: In your powerful days, I'll bet you could have.
M: Well, having something to say.
W: You would need something good to say if you were going to talk to Gunter Grass.
M: Later it rained.
W: It rained on your Gunter Grass parade?
M: Are you now?
W: I am not raining just now.
M: This one does not budge.
W: I know, I'm hopeless.
M: I only know a little bit about it.
W: You should know me quite well by now.
M: They weren't as into machines as we are now.
W: You reference a "they" and leave me guessing.
M: It rained on your Gunter Grass parade?
W: That was just an ego-stand.
M: (Wonders if you have Zappa's late recordings, with classical orchestra)
W: I have very few modern recordings.
M: Mental breakdown which looked like great art, till you got back to normal.
W: That could be said of a lot of rock music.
M: I like Wallace Stevens a lot, but he isn't exactly contemporary.
W: Is he one of the people who didn't appreciate machines?
M: It must have been the Devil.
W: That made you do it?
M: Put those two things together, and they don't make any sense.
W: Many visitors have accused you of being that way, but I say they lack appreciation of your Delphic qualities.
M: You're probably just dehydrated.
W: I am very dehydrated, but is that the way you generally accept compliments?
M: So it sounds like a very straightforward administration.
W: Yes, you just apply water to your mouth, and voilĂ , no more dehydration!
M: But banks are not yet fully automated.
W: Riverbanks are automated by Nature, and water rushes between them.
M: I'd rather have my suitcases delivered.
W: You are an incorrigible urbanist.
M: I have never met them.
W: You know no other urbanists?
M: I am treating you that way.
W: Well, that's because I am one.
M: Are you a many-celled being?
W: I am a being in many cells.
M: Hungry?
W: Not particularly, but I am thirsty.
M: The lady vanishes with my hope of being a photographer.
W: On that note, I must vanish.
M: You know no other urbanists?
W: Bye!
M: Closing in 1 second ... Goodbye!

Labels: