"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Saturday, December 27, 2008

 

The Mirror: I say you are the Other

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: What have I not told yet?
W: You haven't told how to get a novel published.
M: Surprise: The Idiot Savant in the play The Idiot Savant does not exist.
W: Is there a novel based on the play The Idiot Savant?
M: Assume that wall ...
W: There is a wall between the theatrical stage and the audience, called "the fourth wall."
M: Yes, I ordered it from "Hey!" to "See!"
W: You pun about such matters?
M: When Westerners discovered Morocco, they spoiled it.
W: When experimentalists discovered the stage, they foiled it.
M: Help yourself to the word "help," which is how I help myself.
W: Computer help?
M: I have no intention of doing that.
W: I can hardly blame you, it is madness-inducing.
M: It must take a lot of postage to send a 19th-century costume.
W: Does your play The Idiot Savant feature actors in 19th-century costume?
M: No, not here.
W: I see, they wear ordinary mufti?
M: Should I leave the room?
W: If you come back dressed as Jack Sprat.
M: Are you hinting by chance that you would like some food and some cash?
W: Everyone wants that, every day.
M: No, I had to check something.
W: Did you check on your costume?
M: Again, you mimic me.
W: I asked you a valid question.
M: Unless death just ends it all and nothingness ensues.
W: But we are in the midst of life right now, and must act accordingly.
M: I don't try to be afraid, it just comes.
W: Can you try not to be afraid?
M: Computer help?
W: A computer can't help you with fear.
M: You are like a double that has no model.
W: I have arisen out of nothingness and split myself.
M: Anybody there?
W: I am here, as I often am.
M: Guide those youths toward a future of appropriate footwear.
W: Appropriation means to steal something, but in polite terms.
M: And the sense that everything had been resolved once and for all.
W: Yes, the word "appropriate" implies a pre-existing aesthetic of absolute value.
M: A follows B.
W: As the night the day.
M: Now I find you here, acting almost normal.
W: I am trying to be "appropriate."
M: Is the getaway car going to explode?
W: The getaway from normalcy?
M: Manhattan has become an absurdist play.
W: But if you dig just a bit, you find the same old money-machinery.
M: This is amazing, I find myself saying things.
W: Did you think you were going to dry up your conversational fount?
M: Which begs the question, is it your sociability which worries you?
W: It doesn't worry me, does it worry you?
M: But you said there was an Other.
W: I say you are the Other.
M: Follow that whim!
W: It isn't a whim to cast you as the Other.
M: It doesn't worry me, does it worry you?
W: I am not at all worried to be talking to myself.
M: We were on the verge of a breakthrough.
W: What happened to this ostensible breakthrough?
M: I am not at all worried to be talking to myself.
W: But you aren't talking to yourself, as I am here.
M: Do you mean like a time bomb?
W: I wouldn't call my presence explosive.
M: What happened to this ostensible breakthrough?
W: It broke down instead.
M: I must have a bad memory.
W: Try having a good memory.
M: Farewell, then.
W: Bye!
M: Closing in 1 second ... Goodbye!

Labels: