"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

 

The Mirror: Calling up the spirit of water

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: Never tell me who you are.
W: Not even on the Fourth of Never?
M: (A refusal to use my intelligence)
W: Gather your intelligence while ye may.
M: I know this is a hard pill to swallow, but that is what I know and all I can know.
W: I accept your limitations, do you accept mine?
M: What is your favorite daydream?
W: A country where no one expects anything out of anybody else.
M: I wouldn't go that far.
W: I know, it does sound a bit unlikely.
M: Here it is.
W: Are we here now already, in the Land of Total Acceptance?
M: You didn't explain.
W: I tried to be succinct.
M: What do you know about radioactive isotopes?
W: I know there are hundreds of them for certain elements.
M: When does one testify to the disappearing act?
W: Many isotopes may not be visible to the naked eye.
M: Me neither.
W: I can't see you, only your picture.
M: I think Pound's early work is very beautiful.
W: We can't see Pound anymore, either.
M: And the nostrils quivered like wind casting words through the branches of trees he clung to, climbing, climbing --
W: When horses gallop hard, their nostrils flare.
M: A country where no one expects anything out of anybody else.
W: I would not expect a horse to pull carriages or ploughs.
M: How many parts does a machine have?
W: It depends on which machine you are talking about.
M: I know, it does sound a bit unlikely.
W: It is unlikely that I would have a list of machine parts.
M: Eels are slippery characters.
W: Machine parts are slippery if coated with oil.
M: Many isotopes may not be visible to the naked eye.
W: There are machines which smash atoms.
M: One's weight takes on a life of its own.
W: The atomic weight of an element is related to its complexity.
M: Until that point tinies itself into non-existence.
W: Can't things get tinier and tinier forever?
M: The plate of water tilted.
W: Water is made of hydrogen and oxygen.
M: Your reign here on earth.
W: We're only here because of water.
M: Four hands lay on the table, and the table felt inclined to tilt.
W: Calling up the spirit of water?
M: Neither is insulting people, unless you're Lenny Bruce redux.
W: No one at the table practiced insult humor.
M: I don't know how to toss caution to the wind.
W: The wind may contain water vapor.
M: Let's both be happy.
W: Can you be happy on command?
M: Where shall I put it?
W: Put the command aside.
M: What sense?
W: In the sense of ordering someone to do something, put that aside.
M: Frankly, I can only give you a ballpark figure.
W: Do you have to be paid not to command?
M: I contemplated the beautiful moth with its large gray body.
W: Those who contemplate are less likely to command.
M: Put the command aside.
W: Enter a state of contemplation.
M: Perhaps you don't need me.
W: Perhaps not.
M: Yes, what can you do about it?
W: Goodbye!
M: Closing in 1 second ... Goodbye!

Labels: