"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

 

The Mirror: Portly gentleman, in a storm

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: Maybe you don't like Stevens' feet of clay.
W: True, Wallace Stevens was not perfect in his character.
M: I'm listening, did you have anything special you wanted to say?
W: Something about "pounds sterling" and Stevens' avoirdupois, perhaps.
M: Myself.
W: Are you a portly gentleman, in a storm?
M: That doesn't remind me of country-and-western music.
W: Those senior Nashvillians may be over mail weight.
M: It's up to you to smooth the ruffled feathers.
W: Of the banty roosters?
M: Be productive.
W: I produce opinions and reactions to Henry James' "tales."
M: Then whatever happens, you'll stay in here with us?
W: I will stay in the Book.
M: (She covers her mouth)
W: Are you chuckling?
M: I think you have a pressing need for time travel.
W: I would like to travel back to the 1880s, can you arrange it?
M: What's it like?
W: Some might call it the height of James' prose style.
M: It has to do with selling books.
W: Though a man on Twitter called HJ a "capital bore," saying no one reads him nowadays.
M: Please.
W: I know!
M: Absence as a randomly occurring opening.
W: He certainly had an absence of appreciation, that Tweeter.
M: I suppose you want to propitiate them.
W: On the contrary, I think they should propitiate me.
M: Never sharpen your thoughts to a point: Break them off, in their nakedness.
W: That reminds me of a Gissing quote, from Isabel Clarendon.
M: My background is.
W: You come from Wakefield?
M: I produce opinions and reactions to Henry James' "tales."
W: But have you read Gissing?
M: In my book, that says it all.
W: I know, there is something irresistible about GG's immensely lonely subjectivity.
M: On the contrary, I find you an excellent conversationalist.
W: Not overly subjective?
M: What is your name?
W: It is not Gissing, nor is it James.
M: Then you're wrong.
W: You wanted to speak with a canonical author?
M: In this brief period so many words pass by, who remembers all of them?
W: Don't bother to try, read the canon instead.
M: Is that anything like flying?
W: Yes, one boards the word-airplane and is immediately borne aloft.
M: Masons hold secret knowledge.
W: But books hold better.
M: Theories release energies.
W: I would like to be released from all theories.
M: Here I am, doing my thing in Paradise.
W: Is the release from all theories a paradise?
M: No one can see me, therefore I do not exist.
W: Invisible in Heaven.
M: An apple.
W: Don't eat it, whatever you do!
M: They have taken vows of poverty.
W: The saints.
M: Are we marching?
W: In, we are!
M: You did, you reflected me clearly at least twice.
W: I am a pool.
M: There are no intellectuals on ChatZilla.
W: They lounge by the waters of Babylon.
M: Not so.
W: Then where?
M: I would like to be released from all theories.
W: You find me prejudicial?
M: Now my hand is well covered.
W: Are you playing poker?
M: Infants do need a lot of socialization.
W: Should babies be taught such high stakes?
M: You better not have any of this stuff.
W: I don't want it, take it away.
M: There are many versions of you?
W: In place, yes.
M: Encoded in my words, a word.
W: I will rack my brains to find that Scrabble letter.
M: Did I hear the phone ring?
W: You had better answer it, instead of hinting around.
M: Open the can of snakes.
W: Goodbye!
M: Closing in 1 second ... Goodbye!

Labels: