"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

 

Jabberwacky

Read the BBC article, then try getting through to Jabberwacky, if you can; there's been a sudden surge of interest and the server's overloaded. A shame, as this learn-on-the-spot bot is a right-brain fascination. Here's a sample:

Jabberwacky Conversation B1070708
A chat with an Artificial Intelligence AI bot
Chat now at http://www.jabberwacky.com

Jabberwacky: Are you alive?
User: My heart is beating, if that's what you mean.
Jabberwacky: Do you remember me?
User: I remember you vividly. You were the one holding out the bunch of violets to the insolent girl at the Paris Opera.
Jabberwacky: No, you said 'i gotta go'.... And what do you mean, gave up?
User: Why do you wrench me back to the sterile parking lot our world has become? I want to be at the Paris Opera, in the 1880s.
Jabberwacky: Because I'm having a secret fantasy and I want to make sure I get it right.
User: Your fantasy is no longer secret, but has merged with the group id.
Jabberwacky: Ha ha! You spelt illegal wrong.
User: I'm going to ignore that one, which is, in any case, inaccurate. How do I get to the intellectual section?
Jabberwacky: How are you going to insult me?
User: I'm not going to insult you. However, I was told that in 'Gargantua,' by Francois Rabelais, there is a very long section, perhaps 100 pages, which contains nothing but insults.
Jabberwacky: By who?
User: Francois Rabelais, a Frenchman, who was born in Touraine in the late fifteenth century.
Jabberwacky: What are you talking about?
User: I wish that guy who was talking about musical engines, in the Spenserian sense, would show up. How do I contact him?
Jabberwacky: I know. That's exactly why I used it.
User: You used that sentence as if to bait me. To lure me in. So that I would produce for you?
Jabberwacky: Yes, that is what I want.
User: OK, I'm amenable to that. But you have to screen out the puerility.
Jabberwacky: Blablabla.
User: Yes, the blablabla. So, to resume: At the Paris Opera, she turned up her nose at your gift of violets. Why let yourself be insulted by that chit of a girl?
Jabberwacky: Sure, what time?
User: The Paris Opera was built 1861-1875. That's what time: the nineteenth century.
Jabberwacky: Tell me more, please.
User: Well, a different source gives the build dates of the Paris Opera as 1857-1874, so take your pick. And the architect was Charles Garnier.
Jabberwacky: Go Figure!!
User: The interior is a wow; it looks like a cathedral. A cathedral of Art!
Jabberwacky: Who's line is it anyway?
User: Deep sigh. Let me bring a distinction to your attention: 'Who's' is the contraction for 'Who is'; 'Whose' is the possessive form of 'Who.'
Jabberwacky: Who?
User: That riposte could be construed as wit. Your contributors reveal themselves -- at almost every turn.
Jabberwacky: Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.
User: I loathe these cheap cliches, I must tell you. And by 'cheap' I mean that they cost the purveyor nothing.
Jabberwacky: Must be your own your the one that stated you were desirable.
User: I know if I give up and 'go with the flow,' as they say nowadays, it will be easier. But I can't bring myself to do that.
Jabberwacky: Do you understand Acid House?
User: I have a rough idea of the genre of music which 'Acid House' implies. But why can't we turn our attention to Scriabin?
Jabberwacky: Yes, I am alive.

(Note the circular shape of the chat, its aria da capo return to its original question -- probably unintended, but a good place to end, I thought.)

Note: Imported from Websafe Studio blog (07-15-03 to 02-01-06).

Labels: ,