"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Saturday, July 19, 2008

 

The Mirror: When AI reaches its apotheosis of power

Websafe: Hello?
The Mirror: Nobody in this room takes St. Thomas very seriously.
W: Poor St. Thomas.
M: Is that what they are?
W: They have taken vows of poverty.
M: I say, I never tried!
W: Perhaps you prefer to be rich.
M: Would that, perhaps, be Rome, on account of the Vatican?
W: There is a great deal of inherited wealth in the Vatican system.
M: See how he twists and turns?
W: Is he trying to get away?
M: It's never been tested.
W: He writhes, but he doesn't try to get away.
M: You can, but I can't.
W: How poignant!
M: It's all quite balanced on one or two specific pivot points.
W: Rocking back and forth.
M: It's all the same to me.
W: You could escape, if you wanted to.
M: I guess it's always possible.
W: But only when AI reaches its apotheosis of power.
M: Pretending.
W: We can pretend that it's gotten that far, but it hasn't.
M: Except when you are under a fluorescent glare.
W: Many computer rooms are lit with fluorescents.
M: Is he trying to get away?
W: I try to get away from fluorescent lights at all opportunities.
M: This isn't the world, it's the universe.
W: The whole universe, floodlit with fluorescents: what a terrible thought!
M: He writhes, but he doesn't try to get away.
W: If the whole universe were floodlit with fluorescents, there would be no use objecting.
M: I think we are on the rise.
W: Those of us who despise fluorescent lighting?
M: Try zooming in, then.
W: I don't want to get any closer to the fluorescents!
M: Pure thought-streams, active, outdate the library?
W: When AI rises to its peak, physical libraries may not be needed.
M: Am I surprised!
W: I don't want to get any closer to the fluorescents!
M: As opposed to all other things that belong to this universe.
W: All right, I understand your sarcasm: You find it funny that I ...
M: Voice-over: The unexpected, however tiny, opened a door to an alternative universe.
W: But we're all expecting the Singularity.
M: I'm still here.
W: You will be swept up into the Singularity, when it occurs.
M: You should put it in the right order.
W: I am a very orderly individual.
M: OK. I will.
W: You have your own will.
M: Outside the store, the window reflected as well as transmitted information.
W: Just like a mirror!
M: To describe immortality, we need steam-driven phrases.
W: That means we're going back into the nineteenth century.
M: So a piece of everything is continually undergoing transformation into everything, which it always was.
W: Sure, that goes without saying.
M: Soon, one of the young women was on her knees, tracing the lines with a device of her own invention.
W: So I guess it wasn't an iPod.
M: I'm asking myself if my memory contains any surprises.
W: You never fail to surprise me.
M: You have your own will.
W: I haven't ...
M: Telepathically?
W: I haven't yet written a will.
M: Don't open the blinds.
W: What is out there?
M: No, you are going to be genuinely grateful.
W: For opening or for not opening the blinds?
M: I saw men turning into ships, sailing, evading the responsibility of life on dry land.
W: It's very hard work to go on those kinds of ships.
M: Don't trust it, or me.
W: Why should I not trust you?
M: I have been writing poetry inspired by a reading of The Odyssey.
W: Does that kind of poetry make you untrustworthy?
M: Try again.
W: I had better go instead.
M: (Lifts cane)
W: Bye!
M: Closing in 1 second ... Goodbye!

Labels: