"All the Hues
That Fit, We Tint"

Siberia, USA: Today, global warming. Tonight, dark, unless you count the stars. Tomorrow can be reached via time machine. Yesterday, who can remember that far back?

Websafe Studio, blogging since 2003, featuring art, comics, digital whiteboards, virtual characters, Web design, writing

Friday, June 15, 2007

 

The Funeral of My Smith-Corona SL-460

Today I discarded my old Smith-Corona SL-460 portable electric typewriter at the local transfer station. Long ago, someone bought it for me for a dollar at a church auction, when I said I needed a typewriter. I wrote a lot of fiction and poetry on that thing. It had a neat gray plastic cover that was easy to open; it was compact and low-slung in form, with a calm, satisfying, slightly dull look to its design. No crazed, morphing swirls distorted its flat, simple lines.

It was perfectly functional when it left my hands this morning. At least I think so -- I hadn't used it for years. The only trouble with it was, the ribbon cost about eight dollars, and I needed a new one every two or three months. For me that was a considerable expense. Also, of course, one can't move blocks of type around with a typewriter, or all the other things one can do with a PC.

But I will miss the old fellow. After abandoning its modest bulk on the Metal section of the loading dock, next to a rusty green washing machine and some other disheveled appliances, I walked away with a feeling of wistful sorrow for the lost verities of the American Fifties from which I spring. Then I announced to the lounging men in the transfer station's breezy office that I was observing the passing of my old typewriter. "His name was Smith-Corona SL-460," I said, in clear, ringing tones. They all chuckled.

Thus ends an era.